When New Brunswick became a Province in the year 1773, immigrants came from different countries. England encourage immigration from England, Scotland and Ireland, by offering grants of land and small sums of money. Large numbers of Irish sons and daughters became enthused and left the homelands to seek homes in this new world.

    It may have been the peaceful waters of the Nerepis, or rhe beautiful sunset on the faraway hills that lured these brave people to blaze a trail through the woods along the Nerepis. Such names as Hogan, Malone, Breen, Kelly, Garrity and Hurley drew lots of land, side by side in the wilderness. For a time, they walked to Saint John for their needs. Later they cut a trail for ox-teams, which were often left at the mouth of the Nerepis, and a row-boat taken to Saint John for their meager supplies.

In 1830, the Government built a road to Fredericton, and this being the widest road in the Province, was named the Broad Road. A large house, called Government House, was built on a bluff overlooking what was later known as Queens Brook. This, known as Halfway House, was a stopping place for the first stage coach in 1876 between the two town, Saint John and Fredericton.

The Irish village had grown to the extent that a church was built in 1837; serviced by a priest from Fredericton, After the famine in Ireland in 1847, other immigmts came to New Brunswick's shores, with the names Brophy, O'Neill, Finnigm, O'Donnell, McCarthy, Barry, Muldoon, Kelly, Connors, etc. So great was the increase population that the Bishop of Sant John created this settlement into a parish in 1860, giving it the name of Petersville.

A few yards from this church, a larger one was built in 1863. Rev. Luke O'Regan was the first priest. He lived only six years and was succeeded by Father Farrell who laboured there for many years. This church, unfortunately was blown down by the Saxby Gale in 1869 - 1 temporary one was built in 1885 and stood overlooking large fields, a landmark until destroyed by fire in 1933.

Going back to the stage coach days, in 1856, Roderick 0"Donnell took over Government House as a home. It was still a stop for the stage as the stage carried the mail and a Port Office was oppened there. Many weary travellers were given the hospitality of a true Irish home.

Soldiers travelling through on Snowshoes, (possibly the 62nd battalion), rested there, sleeping in the third story with a sentry standing guard. In Later years fairs were held there, bringing the people together socially as well as in later years exhiniting their stock and produce. In fact, down through the years it was looked upon as an open house.

About six miles further another hotel opened, known as Malone's Hotel. The stage left mail their also, and released and took on passengers.